29 years ago, after taking over the Borderland Reporter, the Triangle News was born.
Each issue we will take a look back at the goings on in the issue published the same week, 29 years previous.
Stop by the office and have a look at the full issue that we will keep on display.
Excerpts of articles from
Volume 1, No. 1, April 13, 1983
Council and R.M. Finalize
Plans for Recreation Complex
“The Councils agreed to dissolve the Complex Board and turn the recreation issue back to the Recreation Board. The Recreation Board will be expanded from 7 members to 9 with 5 people from the Town, 2 from the R.M. and 1 representative from each council.”
The Town of Coronach has committed $1,025,000 plus the cost of the land, and the R.M. of Hart Butte No. 11 $350.000 towards the construction of new Recreation Facilities in Coronach. This is all the funding that these councils will provide.
Coronach Arts Council Quilt Display
The Coronach Arts Council sponsored a Quilt Display at the Kinsmen Hall. Over 100 people signed the guest register and viewed the mass display of 75 quilts, afghans and bedspreads, all locally made.
Pie and coffee were served, and there were four door prizes given away: Mae Coubrough, Mary-Lou Travland, W.T. Little and Ida Therens.
Chamber of Commerce Report
“Mr. Bob Myers from KCGM FM radio station in Scobey, Montana spoke to the chamber members briefly on an hour program for Coronach.
The program would consist of music, dedications, announcements, road reports, RCMP reports and othe related topics. The program would be funded by participating Coronach businesses who would receive a 30 second spot once a day plus opening and closing spots.”
Coronach Annual Open Bonspiel
March 15-23, 24 teams participating
A event: 1 - Howard Harder, 2 - Greg Gillies, 3 - Gus Lawrick, 4 - Ron Elder
B event: 1 - Floyd Elder, 2 - Bob Piche, 3 - Ron Paterson, 4 - Don McRobb
C event: 1 - Bernie Klein, 2 - Larry Brenner, 3 - Larry Powell, 4 - Thor Spagrud
D event: 1 - Garth Vancuren, 2 - Richard Burnay, 3 - Richard Lisowik, 4 - Neil Warken.
Richard Lisowik defeated Ron Elder in the Grand Challenge.
March 23-25, five events.
A event: 1 - Lois Lawrick, 2 - Tom Griffin, 3 - Edward Heagy, 4 - Richard Burnay
B event: 1 - Ken Elder, 2 - Doug Spies, 3 - Leonard Kleinfelder, 4 - Gus Lawrick
C event: 1 - Roger Weisgerber, 2 - Frances Therrien, 3 - Albert Hostin, 4 - Dallas Heagy
D event: 1 - Tom McKee, 2 - Bill Barmby, 3 - Ernest Bissonnette, 4 - Rene Hostin
E event: 1 - Ken Hodge, 2 - Richard Lisowik, 3 - Don Griffin, 4 - Alvert Salaba
The annual cash spiel was cancelled due to spring weather.
• Saturday, April 23, Coronach Firemen’s Appreciation & Awards Night, with music by Melody Five.
• Coronach Credit Union announces implementation of on-line computer system.
• Richard Biffert and Terry Youngberg run for Town of Coronach by-election.
• Work began in the South-west corner of Coronach for new development.
• Coteau Range Community College offered paper tole classes in Coronach and Scout Lake and Gifted Education class in Big Beaver.
• Fife Lake Hotel presents Don Young, Country Style and Rick Goeslin. Manoir Hotel in Willow Bunch presents Wayne Kuntz, Jim Hardy and the Gary Wayne Show. The Assiniboia Lodge Hotel presents the Barley Band, Myrol Brothers Band and Southern Wind.
• Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark play in the Dreamland Theatre.