Excerpts from the June 15, 1980 Triangle News
On the Front Page
Majority of Members resign from Coronach Culture and Recreation Board
In the paper was a letter addressed to the councils of the Town of Coronach and the R.M. of Hart Butte citing the resignations of the chairman of the board, Don Kirby, along with Building Committee Chairman - B. Anderson, Vice Chairman - N. Thompson, Secretary - L. Williams, and members - J. Foley, A. Manske, T. Werrett, and O. Mickelborough.
The letter explains the frustration of the board “over the lack of receiving decisions to go ahead” with the planned new recreation complex in the town of Coronach.
The board felt that delays in decision making were going to add costs to the project.
The letter was followed by Mayor Murray Rousay’s comments that he “deeply regretted” the resignations and would be releasing important decision regarding the recreation issue in the near future and would be asking the board to reconsider their resignations.
Reeve John Totton declined comment.
Bengough School Graduation 1983
In the class: Wade Richards, Roby Gillies, Darryl Kesslering, Ryan Riddell, Jerry Fister, Judy Shaw, Wanda Bailey, Michelle Lofthouse, Cheryl Cairns, Carolyn Giraudier, Sundae Kleven, Maureen Hill, Della McDonald, Nina Patel, Kelly Jensen, Leanna Tangedal and Kim Leflar.
Willow Bunch High School
Trish Hennessy submitted her final report before her graduation
Louise Giraudier won the gold medal at Units and placed 8th in the 200m in the Provincial Track Meet.
Carmel Eger won the silver medal at units and advanced to districts in long jump and triple jump.
Other athletes that advanced to Districts: Blayne Eger, Tania McBain, Lana Eger, Alain Prefontaine, Paul Beaubien, Michelle Delorme, Laura Lea Eger, Trish Hennessy, Steve Romanycia, Albert Bissonnette, Ken Dumonceau, Donald Beubien.
Southern Farmers Fastball League Standings
Maxstone Farmers, 2 wins, 1 loss; Triple A’s 2 wins, 1 loss; Scout Lake Skunks 1 win, 2 losses.
South Country Fastball League
“On June 14, the Astros were still having their troubles and lost to the Warriors in Coronach.”
League standings: Warriors — 4 wins, 1 loss, 1 tie; Cougars — 4 wins, 1 loss; Cardinals — 3 wins, 3 losses, 1 tie; Astros 0 wins, 6 losses.
• 65th Anniversary celebration for Elvin and Virgie Edwards.
• Farewell social in Rockglen for Ken and Donelle Dodge, both teachers in Rockglen.
• Farewell for Rev. and Mrs. Randy MacKenzie and family. Many locals performed in a play “Rindercella” under the direction of Patricia Siggelkow, with costumes by Linda Merritt. The youth choir, consisting of Terena Cairns, Gay Hendricks, Linda and Corrina Greenwood and Mandy Peacock sang.
• Kinettes donate $1,200 to the hospital for the purchase of a chesterfield, chair, etc. for the patients’ waiting room.
• Retirement Tea at the Wesley United Church to honour Mrs. Emma Henrickson and Mr.s. Pearl Garvin.
• Kelly Gent wins a surprise Graduate draw at Murray’s Pharmacy.
• Rockin Beach erects a golf clubhouse.
• Shirley Schepp hosts piano and organ recital for her students and Tim Micklebourough’s two students.